We know prepping for a childcare interview, or any interview, can be a stressful time. To help ease the nerves, it’s a good idea to do some pre-work to ensure you put yourself in the best possible position to get the job. Here are some interview preparation tips along with etiquette best practices to get you started in the right direction.
Sitter & Nanny Prep for First Appointment or Trial:
1. Check in with the family via email or text as soon as you get the confirmation email to say hello and that you’re looking forward to meeting them.
2. During this exchange, make sure you have the right start/end times confirmed between both of you and the right address.
3. Review the family’s profile for special notes and/or job conditions to have a good background of the family’s needs and prepare any questions you may have.
4. Dress appropriately. Wear attire that is both childcare friendly and professional. Look presentable as this is the first impression you are making on the family.
5. Show up on time! On time is 5 minutes early so that the family does not begin to worry if you’ll be late. Use a GPS device to get directions ahead of time and plan ahead if the weather is supposed to be bad, the subways are slow, etc.
6. Make sure to take your shoes off and wash your hands upon meeting them for the first time.