It’s no secret that my husband and I are trying to get pregnant. This has been my master plan since I realized I could have my own baby. It is definitely an inexplicable feeling once you are ready…really ready!
Even though I already feel immersed in the mommy/baby world, I am still constantly learning new things. There are so many resources out there, but one convenient spot I like to get new information from is The Bump. They do a good job of informing, and I like how the content is non-judgmental, just recommendations.
Every woman’s body and life is so different between different stress levels, financial means, hours worked, etc.; I think its fair to say that each woman makes the best decisions for her body and should follow her gut. However, there are some generally accepted practices surrounding pregnancy. I knew when a woman is trying to conceive that she should start taking prenatal vitamins, have one glass of wine instead of two, not smoke, lay off tuna, etc.
Here is a shortened list (because I know you don’t have time to read an epic article, nor do I have time to write it!) of what The Bump recommends paying attention to as you prepare:
- Caffeine in moderation
- Don’t smoke. (I don’t know anyone that does anymore anyway…)
- Repeat: have one glass of wine instead of two
- Keep your weight stable
- Did you know there are foods that make you most fertile? This one was my favorite
-Men: eat ketchup, lycopene is your friend!
-Ladies: eat spinach, you want lots of folic acid
- Make a dentist appointment and keep it!
- Be active, but don’t overdo it. Try 5-10 minutes of yoga every morning; even something small helps!
- Don’t drink out of plastic bottles (as I have a plastic bottle in front of me)…I just threw it away.
- DON’T STRESS!! I have not figured out this solution yet, but I’ll get back to you
- High mercury fish-just say no!
–Lindsay Bell Wallace is Bell Family Company’s fearless leader. Lindsay has been a mom-in-the-making since childhood, where she was charged with babysitting her four younger sisters. Lindsay and husband Brad are hoping to add a new member to the Bell Family soon!