New Parent? Thinking about returning to work?
The decision to return to your career part or full-time is one that can be beneficial to both you and your family. Many women struggle to “have it all” and balance work and family life simultaneously. While many are aware of the sacrifices working mothers and their families must make, there are a lot of benefits too. After reading Lynn Berger’s book “How to Land, Create, or Negotiate the Part-Time Job of Your Dreams” I’ve outlined some important points she made below:
The Benefits of Returning to Work:
- -It will keep your skill level/resume current
- -It will be much easier to switch to full-time later if you have already been working
- -Extra income for your family
- -Social interaction and validation outside of your home
- -Studies have shown a positive association between the number of roles a woman occupies and her psychological well-being- if one role is overwhelming, you may feel successful in another area of your life
- -Feelings of self-worth and accomplishment- may help improve spousal relationships
- -Positive role model for your children- they see their parent as successful/hardworking
How to Make it Work for Your Family:
- -Consult your spouse and work out a family budget- outline what your salary will be, how much time you will allot for childcare, etc.
- -Make sure your career options match your current priorities- you want to be at a job you feel benefits you, and is worth giving up family time
- -Be diligent in searching for the right job with the right benefits for you and your family
- -Communicate with your partner about any concerns they may have in your returning to the workforce
- -Prepare for a shift in responsibilities in your home- you may need to divide home/childcare differently
- -Take quality time-even if you are not spending as much time with your children, make sure when you are with them you are focused on them
- -Lower your expectations- understand that your family will have to make adjustments with a busier schedule. You may not be able to go to everything
Find the Right Nanny
Ms. Berger does a great job of presenting options and offering support to parents making the leap. BFC is here to also support you and your family in this transition. There is no need to feel guilt about returning to work when you know your child(ren) are left with a quality caregiver that can provide for all of your family’s needs. Our nannies are available part and full-time and in addition to childcare can provide light housekeeping, cooking and laundry.
-Lindsey Garibaldi is our in-house operations intern and full time student at Fordham University majoring in communications. In her free time she loves spending time with family, friends & children.