I can’t decide if I need a hug,
A large coffee,
Six shots of vodka, or
Two weeks of sleep.
Every mom of a newborn
This sums up life with a newborn. You know the endless waking up through the night, the on-demand breast feeding, and the list goes on and on.
I’m up now and it’s 5:07 a.m. I went to bed around 1:30 a.m. My son is on an every 3-4 hour window feeding schedule at night, and during the day it’s between 2-5 hours (I know not consistent). By the time I’m done feeding I have time to check my e-mail, make a call, throw in dinner, and then it’s feeding time again!
Most moms are advised to sleep when the baby sleeps, but I have found that totally impossible. I have too much to do and I’m naturally not a good napper.
Thank goodness my lil guy sleeps between 3-4 hours at night, giving me about 7 hours of sleep in blocks of time typically between 11 p.m.-9 a.m.
My advice – have a solid routine-and don’t stray from it!
- Wake up and position yourself the same (use a boopy – it freed my arms to e-mail, read, etc. when feeding).
- Feed on one side, then burp.
- Feed on the other side, then burp.
- Change diaper.
- Swaddle (I love aden + anais).
- Sometimes if the baby is fussy he/she will need a top off (2-5 min of extra feeding).
- Soothe in your arms (we have a special dance).
- Place in same baby basset every night (try The Baby Box Company or Fisher-Price)
Note you can come up with any routine you want to, this just works for us!
Written by our Founder & CEO, and new mom, Lindsay Bell!